Average Levels For Men:
pg/ml = picograms per milli-litre ng/dL= nanograms per deci-litre
If you receive the test results and the clinic recommends testosterone injections or testosterone patches, please think about the alternatives. Unless there is a medical condition that has resulted in extremely low testosterone levels, you should look at natural ways of boosting your levels:
- Eat testosterone boosting foods.
- Lower your estrogen levels (testosterone is converted to estradiol in men)
- Avoid foods and activities that are known to lower your testosterone levels.
- Start fasting and intermittent fasting (16/8 hours is a start).
- Lose weight.
- Exercise more (particularly weights and resistance HIIT)
- Reduce stress (cortisol levels).
- Get plenty of sleep (your testosterone levels are boosted at night and peak in the morning).
Testosterone injections will last approximately 15-17 days and after that there will be a dramatic drop. In some cases, the injections can switch off natural testosterone production. Once injections start you will need to keep returning for the next jab every fortnight..... for life. American men spend a staggering $2 billion a year on testosterone injections, but most issues could be solved through diet, exercise and lifestyle changes. A medical study in the US found a 30% increased risk of death, heart attack or ischemic stroke among men who were taking testosterone replacement drugs compared to men who were not taking them. A doctor or clinic will not make money suggesting that you eat a testosterone promoting diet, they make money with interventional treatments (especially ones that last for the rest of your life).
Depending on the reason for testing, other tests and hormone levels may be done in conjunction with testosterone testing. Some examples include:
- SHBG. Sex hormone binding globulin is a protein that is produced by the liver and binds tightly to the hormones testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and estradiol (an estrogen)
- FSH, LH (Luteinizing hormone (LH) and follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) are called gonadotropins because stimulate the gonads - in males, the testes, and in females, the ovaries).
- Estrogens. There are several types of estrogens. In men, testosterone breaks down into estradiol.
- DHEAS. Dehydroepiandrosterone, also known as androstenolone, is an endogenous steroid hormone. It is one of the most abundant circulating steroids in humans, in whom it is produced in the adrenal glands, the gonads, and the brain.
- 17-Hydroxyprogesterone. High levels of 17-OH progesterone can indicate a condition called congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH). CAH is a glandular disorder that results in the adrenal glands being unable to create sufficient cortisol, and it may increase the production of male sex hormones.
As a strting point, ask for a testosterone test (free and bound) plus an estradiol test. After you get your results, don't get conned into testosterone patches or taking injections. Take the food and lifestyle approach followed by a re-test.
- Ram Hospital. 436 Chiangmai Ram Hospital, 8 Boonreungrit Rd., A.Muang
Total testosterone (bound + free) is $20 and an estradiol test costs $18. Results take 2 hour. The registration and test takes 30 mins. You can walk-in and do blood test at the in-house laboratory department, 1st floor and not see a doctor. 8:00AM. - 7:30PM. You can see a doctor following the test if required.
- Ratchavej Hospital. 316/1 Chiang Mai-Lam Phun, Tambon Wat Ket (opposite Holiday Inn)
Total testosterone (bound + free) and an estradiol test cost $90. Results take 10 days.
- Bangkok Hospital
Total testosterone (bound + free) test and estradiol test $60 (Doctors fee is $60). Results take 1 day.
- Bangkok Hospital: 2 Soi Soonvijai 7, New Petchburi Rd., Huaykwang, Bangkok 10310 ThailandTel: 0 2310 3000
The estimated price of testosterone test is 2,250 THB, and estradiol test 1,970 THB. The result is available at the same day. Out-patient consultation fee is 1,000-1,500 THB per visit.
- Bumrungrad International Hospital: 33 Sukhumvit 3, Wattana, Bangkok 10110
Testosterone: approximately 1,260 Baht. Estradiol (E2): approximately 1,410 Baht. The results takes around 2 hours. Estimated doctor’s consultation fee which ranges from 500-2,000 Baht.
- HI-PRECISION DIAGNOSTICS is a medical testing lab located at 440-442 W. Long Bldg. Del Monte Ave,, Quezon City with branches across the Philippines.
- Most expat hospitals in Ho Chi Min or Hanoi offer testosterone testing.
- Lab tests online offer a good online service.
The easiest and cheapest way to do it is to just purchase a test online and then show up to the labcorp facility (There’s at least one LabCorp in every city in the USA). At the Labcorp facility you’ll walk in, they’ll take a vial of blood and test it, then in a day or two you can view the results of your testosterone test online.