Spirulina Super Food
Spirulina is a blue-green algae that is actually a cyanobacteria. Spirulina or Arthrospira is a blue-green alga that became famous after it was successfully used by NASA as a dietary supplement for astronauts on space missions.
- Spirulina has 3900% more beta-carotene than carrots.
- Spirulina has 2300% more iron than spinach.
- Spirulina has 300% more calcium than whole milk.
- Spirulina has 375% more protein than tofu and 200% more than meat.
- Three grams of Spirulina have more antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity than five servings of vegetable.
- Comparing phytonutrient levels, Spirulina is 30 times more potent than blueberries, 60 times more potent than spinach and 700 times more potent than apples.
Spirulina prevent colds, stops hunger, reduces blood pressure, cholesterol and fatigue, improves digestion, helps with weight loss, removes toxins, balances blood sugar, builds the immune system and more. Proteins are the fundamental building blocks of life. Spirulina offers more protein gram per gram than beef, chicken, fish, and even soybeans. This blue-green algae is a freshwater plant that is now one of the most researched, and alongside its cousin chlorella, most talked about superfoods today. Grown around the world, spirulina is renowned for its intense flavor and even more powerful nutrition profile. Spirulina grows best in low-alkaline conditions — particularly, fresh water lakes, ponds and rivers. It also requires an abundance of sunshine and moderate temperatures.
Spirulina Lowers Blood Pressure
Phycocyanin is a pigment found in the spirulina that scientists have discovered possesses antihypertensive effects (it lowers blood pressure).
Spirulina Reduces Cholesterol
Spirulina benefits have also been shown to prevent atherosclerosis and reduce elevated blood cholesterol levels.
One ounce of spirulina contains:
- Copper: 85 percent RDA
- Iron: 44 percent RDA
- Manganese: 27 percent RDA
- Magnesium: 14 percent RDA
- Sodium: 12 percent RDA
- Potassium: 11 percent RDA
- Zinc: 4 percent RDA
- Phosphorus: 3 percent RDA
- Calcium: 3 percent RDA
- Selenium: 3 percent RDA
- Riboflavin: 60 percent RDA
- Thiamin: 44 percent RDA
- Niacin: 18 percent RDA
- Pantothenic acid: 10 percent RDA
- Vitamin K: 9 percent RDA
- Vitamin E: 7 percent RDA
- Folate: 7 percent RDA
- Vitamin B6: 5 percent RDA
- Vitamin C: 5 percent RDA
- Vitamin A: 3 percent RDA
Spirulina and chlorella (the best kinds of algae) are both known for their effects on detoxifying the liver, and when your liver is clean then it flushes out estrogen with a much better rate.
Spirulina is an algae, and the risk of contamination is very high from inferior sources. There are only a few areas worldwide that have the ideal sunny climate for production of this alga, including Thailand, Greece (Nigrita, Serres), Japan, United States and Spain.
- Northern Thailand: spirulina has been produced for over 30 years in carefully controlled and monitored conditions.
- Nutrex-Hawaii Hawaiian Spirulina Pacifica is one of the most popular brands of spirulina.
- Thaiwan: Organic Burst Spirulina is free from all BMAA, microcystins, heavy metals and radiation.