Fats and Oils
Fats are be found in a lot of foods, they are present in meats. proteins, carbohydrates and dairy products. Some foods contain a high fat content but are incredibly healthy. Oils are a high source of fat and fried foods have increased fat content because of it.
The war on fat
The food and diet industry started the "war on fat" in the late 1970's and it went unchallenged for decades. The basic message was that fat and cholesterol were bad because they would cause your arteries to clog and your heart to fail.
- People dropped butter and moved to highly processed margarine.
- Lard was dropped for vegetable oils and trans fats.
- Fatty milks and creams were dropped for skimmed and low-fat versions.
- Fatty cuts of meat were dropped for lean cuts.
- Red meats were dropped for chicken.
Did the war on fat improve the health of the developed world? No, people have become more obese and metabolic diseases such as diabetes, chronic stress and heart problems have soared. The winners in this war have been the multi-national food companies, supermarkets and the big farmers.
- The use of soy beans rocketed.
- Corn consumption has rocketed.
- Processed food and snacks have replaced home cooked foods.
- Fibre has been removed to improve shelf life.
- Sugar and high fructose corn syrup has been added to 80% of processed foods and drinks. Especially in "low fat" foods.
- Factory chicken farms have dominated protein supply.