Back Bows (Superman)
Back Bows are a simple exercise that is great for working the core and back muscles. Back bows are a Pilates favourite and are sometimes called the ‘Superman’. They can be done anywhere, you can even do them on the bed!
Ultimate Guide to Back Bows
- Lay flat on your stomach.
- Bring your hands and feet up creating a “bow” shape. Your chest also lifts off the floor and you try and minimise contact with the floor.
- Keep your hands and feet in a set position.
- Head looking forward towards the hands. Try not to strain the neck too far.
The Benefits of Back Bows (Superman)
Back bows tone the lower back and can help with back pain. They are also great for flexibility.
Muscle groups worked with Back Bows
Muscles in the lower back get worked. Along with abdominals and your buttocks to a lesser degree.
Back Bows (Superman) Variations
- Gently rotate the neck and head whilst in the bow position.
- Gently rotate the feet and hands whilst in the bow position.
- A common Pilates variation is to reach back with your arms to grab the feet. This increases the bow (very advanced).